General Meeting Minutes for 1957
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the Portland Building, University of Nottingham at 8 p.m. on Thursday September 12th, 1957.
Professor D G Northcott was in the chair.
- The minutes of the General Meeting held in St Andrews in 1956 were read and approved.
- The Chairman welcomed the overseas visitors, extended a particular welcome to the guest speaker Professor Jessen and indicated that the Colloquium was looking forward with interest to his lecture.
- A letter from the President of the Australian Mathematical Society was read by the Secretary and it was agreed that the Secretary should acknowledge its receipt with thanks and send best wishes for the success of the Society and request that the Colloquium be kept informed about future meetings.
- The accounts of the Colloquium held in St Andrews were approved.
- The meeting was informed that a donation of £50 had been made to the funds of the International Congress of Mathematicians to be held in Edinburgh in 1958.
- The Committee was instructed to consider the advisability of raising the Membership Fee.
- The Meeting discussed the advisability of holding a Colloquium in 1958 in view of the occurrence of the International Congress.
- The Meeting was informed that an invitation had been received from Professor R Rado to hold a Colloquium in Reading at Easter 1958. After some discussion the motion "that the invitation to hold a Colloquium at Reading next year be accepted" was put and carried.
- The Meeting was also informed that an invitation had been received from Professor J L B Cooper to hold a Colloquium, in 1959, in Cardiff.
- The meeting was informed that apologies for absence had been received from Professors T A Brown and H R Pitt.
- Professor T A Brown, Dr E F Collingwood, Professor E T Copson, Dr A J Macintyre, Professor H R Pitt, Dr A F Rushton, Dr D E Rutherford and Professor J H C Whitehead retired from the Committee.
- Professor G A Barnard, Mr F F Bonsall, Professor J L B Cooper, Dr G Higman, Dr K A Hirsch, Dr Hanna Neumann, Professor A C Offord and Dr S Wylie were elected to the Committee.
- It was suggested and agreed that foreign mathematicians visiting the United Kingdom in 1958, should be invited to attend the Colloquium.
- Professor J H C Whitehead proposed a vote of thanks to the Organisers of the Colloquium.
- It was resolved that the Chairman write to the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Nottingham thanking the University for its hospitality.
Minutes signed by Richard Rado [undated].