General Meeting Minutes for 1968
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the Rupert Beckett Lecture Theatre, University of Leeds, at 2.15 p.m. on Thursday, 4th April, 1968.
Professor A W Goldie was in the chair.
- The minutes of the 1967 General Meeting were read and approved.
- The accounts of the 19th Colloquium were approved.
- Professor A M Macbeath invited the Colloquium to hold its next meeting at Birmingham. The invitation was accepted with acclamation.
- The following retired from the Committee:-
Prof W N Everitt, Prof M E Noble, Prof G E H Reuter, Prof A P Robertson, Dr R L E Schwarzenberger.
The following were elected to the Committee:-
Dr D E Edmunds, Prof K Gruenberg, Prof A M Macbeath, Prof A C Offord, Prof G C Shephard.
- It was announced that the Committee would meet at 8.30 p.m. in the TV room of Charles Morris Hall.
- Professor D B Scott drew attention to the fact that the first date proposed for the last Presidential Address, of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, had coincided with the date of a meeting of the L.M.S. It was changed, therefore, but then coincided with the date of this General Meeting, and also with the Tenth British Theoretical Mechanics Colloquium at Oxford. (*)
In view of the support that the Institute enjoys from Pure Mathematicians, he asked that firm representation be made to the Institute, in order that such clashes of dates may be avoided in future.
The Chairman promised to look into the matter.
Minutes signed by A W Goldie (undated).
* Amendment to item 6. The first paragraph should read: Professor D B Scott drew attention to the fact that that the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications had held one presidential address on the same day as the A.G.M. of the L.M.S. and was holding another that day which not only clashed with the B.M.C. but also with the Tenth British Theoretical Mechanics Colloquium at Oxford.
Signed A.M.M. agreed at General Meeting 1969.