Mr McBride came to Glasgow in 1896 and devoted himself to teaching in that city for over thirty years. He started as Mathematical Master in Allan Glen's School in December 1896, and remained there until April 1919, when he was appointed Head Master of North Kelvinside School. In 1925 he was transferred to Queen's Park School and served there as Head Master with great acceptance until he retired in 1929 at the age of sixty.
Mr McBride published a number of mathematical papers and was a founder member of the Euclidean Society, which was formed in 1926 to stimulate interest in the teaching of mathematics, with particular reference to logical order as found in the geometry of Euclid. His active and keen interest in the Society led to his election as President in 1930 and Honorary Vice-President in 1947.
Mr McBride was a brilliant and stimulating teacher, and those who knew him intimately recall with pleasure his unfailing kindness, courtesy and genial wit which bound to him a wide circle of friends. He loved mountaineering and motoring.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1926.